Together, we’re working to empower Brixton’s next generation of leaders
MISSION AND VISION
Building Young Brixton (BYB) is a consortium of Lambeth-based organisations working together to inspire and empower young people in Brixton.
The vision of BYB is for young people in Lambeth to thrive through the achievement of 5 major outcomes:
1. Increase in school involvement
2. Increase in community involvement
3. Increase in employability & employment
4. Improvement in personal relationships
5. Increase in emotional wellbeing
BYB recognises that each young person has different needs and interests and BYB partners work purposefully to offer a wide range opportunities and support for young people to thrive and build the lives they want:
1. Personal & Skills Development: 1-2-1 and group coaching & mentoring, ESOL classes, and Creative Skills Workshops
2. Education & Careers Support: Study Hubs, Education & Careers workshops and 1-2-1 mentoring
3. Therapeutic Recreation: Adventure Play, After-school and Weekend Activities, and Horse Riding
4. Advocacy: Intensive Workshops on Power and Community
The partnership is between 9 charities that have over 100 years of collective experience in Lambeth: High Trees Community Development Trust, The Advocacy Academy, The Baytree Centre, Ebony Horse Club, Grove Adventure Playground, Indoamerican Refugee & Migrant Organisation (IRMO), Juvenis, Marcus Lipton Community Enterprise (MLCE), and Spiral Skills.
Founded in 2016, BYB has worked with over 1600 young people over the last 3 years and has secured further funding to continue for another 3 years from 2019.